Under The Care Act 2014 if a person feels they will have ‘substantial difficulty understanding, retaining, using or weighing up information, or communicating your views, wishes and feelings’, they are entitled to request advocacy support.



This support can be requested by carers who feel they need some extra support when dealing with the council or any professionals or services. It is available where there is no family member of friend who is able to support the person in question.

An advocate's role includes arguing your case when you need them to, and making sure the correct procedures are followed by  health and social care services and that you fully understand what is being discussed and will be happening.

Advocates are independent  from the council or health services and being independent means they are there to represent your wishes without giving their personal opinion and without representing the views of the NHS or the council.

An advocate might help you access information you need or go with you to meetings or interviews in a supportive role. You may want your advocate to write letters on your behalf, or speak for you in situations where you don't feel able to speak for yourself.

A number of independent advocacy services are available across Dudley borough. The Dudley Community Information Directory lists these. Click here for more information.






Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.